Friday, November 5, 2010

The push to Deltaville

Today we pushed. Motor sailing all the way. A favorable tide and breeze helped us achieve over 8 knots for much of the time. It was however in conditions that were stinky. A light to moderate rain fell all day and we were wet. Richard and i took one hour watches so that the other could have an hour to pull off the wet gear and dry out, make a pot of coffee or just relax. It worked out well.

The channel into Deltaville is very narrow, shallow and twisty. Richard was on the bow directing me on the wheel. Playmobil draws 4 feet 8 inches. I was watching the depth gauge go from 9 feet to 7 feet to 5 feet and then to 4.8 feet. Then it went to 4.3 feet and I started to ask Richard about it's accuracy. Then we touched the sandy bottom. We easily backed off and got into this beautiful spot with no further incident.

All of the boats at the Fishing Bay Yacht Club (a wonderful venue with three club houses, great showers and a kitchen) were backed into their slips. Richard suggested that I do the same. Lets's just say that I am glad that ther were no members on the veranda watching my docking skills!

Still in our wet gear we walked off of the dock when a member pulled up and welcomed us. He offered us a lift but we declined as we needed to change. We walked about a mile and a half to the Galley Rest. The dinner was ok and I felt that I fit right in because I had changed into my plaid flannel shirt. The accents have changed. We are now in the south. The southern hospitality was wonderful and the restaurant owner gave us a lift back to the yacht club.

1 comment:

  1. Jay,
    Your descriptions of your daily adventures are wonderful. Very descriptive and I can almost feel like I am with you and it is a great feeling. Keep the blog coming and who knows- could make a great book some day. All the best. Stan

    ReplyDelete