Sunday, October 31, 2010

Goals of the journey

One of the goals of this journey is for me to get to know all of the ins and outs of Playmobil. Over the course of this trip I expect that we will log between 200 and 300 hours of time, either motoring or sailing.  We will pull into slips or docks and depart 20 or 30 times.  That is more experience than most boaters get in a year.

This has reminded me of a book that I heard being discussed by my son, Scott, and my friend John Hunken.  They were discussing Outliers, a book by Malcolm Gladwell, that discusses success in varying endeavors.  One of the premises is that it take 10,000 hours of practice to achieve total and complete control of your selected medium.  My experience in racing vintage cars has always emphasized seat time.  The amount of time you actually spend behind the wheel driving. 

If I do 30 of these trips I might approach 10,000 hours of time on this boat.  I don't know if I will have the opportunity to actually do that, but this trip will be a good start.   

No comments:

Post a Comment